Saturday, February 26, 2011

1st and 4th Grade Art Class

In this days class, the fourth grade continued to create rain sticks from cardboard tubes and toothpicks, and the 1st grade was completely a tissue paper painting, with an animal silhouette.  The cooperating teacher was back in class, and instructed the students to begin their work nearly immediately.  I found myself very comfortable instructing and assisting the students with their various work processes.  It was clear that the students were similarly becoming comfortable with me and my instructional style.


It was an exciting day to see the first grade projects take shape, as they removed their animal stencil from the tissue paper painted background.  Comments like, "Wow, Awesome, Cool" were the standard in the room as their work was finally realized.  I found myself equally excited for them, and the work that each of them put forth.  A couple of the students struggled a bit to create a reasonable contour drawing of an animal, therefore I helped them by giving these students a vague dot pattern to follow.  The students used their abilities to then create the image that they so desired.  Upon completing this exercise with the students, I learned that they had learning challenges.  The Cooperating teacher was impressed at my ability to get them to work the problem out, and how I was able to challenge them to work toward their goal.  I honestly didn't know that the problems that these students were facing was due to a learning challenge, but it was good to know that I was prepared to respond accordingly.

In thinking of questions to ask the cooperating teacher, I decided that I would ask her about some of the challenges of working in a small district.  Her response was somewhat expected, as she told me that there is a great deal of bureaucracy, drama, and political positioning that tend to muddy the educational process.  Though this was understandable, what was significant is that she reiterated that the primary reason that she does what she does, is because of her love of the students, and the power of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment