Thursday, February 17, 2011

1st and 4th Grade Art Class

Today I was privileged to work with an experienced Art Educator Mrs. Donna Zyrgibel, who is nearing her retirement.  Her knowledge and ideas are wonderful.  An example of this can be seen in the two types of projects that were worked on today.  We began by teaching four 1st grade classes, about colors that mix, using tissue paper to dye paper as the background for a silhouette painting that will be accomplished over a 3 week period.  Additionally, we worked with the 4th grade to make rain sticks, using recycled cardboard tubing, and toothpicks.  These will eventually be covered in plaster, painted and adorned with various decoration.

I began each of the classes organizing materials and by sharing an introductory PowerPoint in which I shared photos of my family, my humanitarian aid work, and my artwork.  I also shared with the students the reason for wanting to teach.  This was kept intentionally short, as I didn't want to take too much time from their work time.

When I asked my cooperating teacher why she began teaching she said because she loved the students, and that it was a very stable position.  She said what I have heard by many an art education student, "She loved art, and loved children."  This is her initial reason for beginning to teach, she said that although that is still very much a real reason to teaching that it has become more of a way to connect the community, and to see life through the child's perspective.  She says that it keeps her young.

In terms of the Classroom environment, it is very much different than other classrooms that I have been a part of because, it is much smaller, and there is only one small window to the outside.  It is literally attached to the cafeteria which at lunch time becomes noisy and distracting to the students.  It seems as though the music and art classrooms which are the only two rooms in this location, were an afterthought and not a priority of the school system.  This could of course be a very bias judgement on my part, but as a first impression it certainly seems as though this is the case.  The cooperating teacher does a great deal with the space that she has been given and overcomes proximity to the cafeteria with well disciplined classroom management.  This class was the quietest class that I have ever heard.  When students enter the classroom there is already calming music playing.  The cooperating teacher only raised her voice at the beginning of the class to instruct the students as to what was going to be accomplished during the class period.  The rest of the time it was quiet close interactions with the students, literally at not much more than a whisper.

In summary, the experience was positive.  I look forward to teaching the 2nd and 5th graders next Tuesday, and learning from the students as well as my cooperating teacher.  I appreciate the experience and classroom management practice that I am receiving and will continue to apply myself to all aspects of the teaching process.

No comments:

Post a Comment